The Vitamin Society of Japan (VSJ) was established on May 28, 1949 to promote research into vitamins and vitamin-related coenzymes.
Since then VSJ has led the study of vitamins and related biofactors as a unique scientific society.
VSJ has contributed to research into water-soluble and fat-soluble vitamins including the discovery, synthesis and medical application of their active derivatives, molecular biology of their physiological functions, their biosyntheses and transport mechanisms in organisms, vitamin-related metabolic disorders, molecular dynamics of the catalytic function of vitamin-related coenzymes, their industrial production, and so forth.
The research into vitamins and biofactors has been extended so as to include the fields of cancer research, immunology, gene engineering, biotechnology, and several others.
We are promoting the welfare and happiness of people by accelerating the study of vitamins and biofactors.
The society has a membership of about one thousand, and would like you to join and play an active role in it.
The Vitamin Society of Japan
Address : Nihon Italia Kaikan , 4 Ushinomiya-Yoshida, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto, 606-8302, Japan
Fax. : +81-75-751-2870
The Aims and Activities of the Society.
The Vitamin Society of Japan (VSJ) aims to contribute to the progress and development of research into vitamins and biofactors.
- Publishing the Society journals* and other scientific publications.
* “Vitamins (in Japanese) “and “Journal of Nutritional Science and Vitaminology (in English)”
- Holding an annual general meeting and scientific conference, periodic lectures on vitamins and biofactors for citizens and students, and other international scientific conferences.
- Awarding distinguished scientists*, and making awards to encouragment of the studies of young scientists** sponsored by several companies***.
* “Award of the Vitamin Society of Japan”
** “Young Scientist Award of the Vitamin Society of Japan”
*** Daiichi-Sankyo Co., Ltd.; ; Takeda Chemical Industries, Ltd.; Tanabe Seiyaku Co., Ltd.; Toa Eiyo Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.;
- Other activities necessary for achieving the aims of VSJ.
Regular Member Privileges
- A subscription to the VSJ journal, “Vitamins (in Japanese)” , which provides members with various information concerning recent advances in the research of vitamins and biofactors.
- The possibility of oral presentation at the annual scientific conference.
- The opportuinity to contribute to the VSJ journal, “Vitamins (in Japanese)”.
- The opportunity to participate in symposiums, seminars, international scientific conferences and so forth held by VSJ and related societies.
- The offer of the “Journal of Nutritional Science and Vitaminology (in English)” at a reduced price.
Members (Number of members)
- Regular members (667)
Criteria for membership : Individuals such as researchers, scholars or who have experience of vitamins and biofactors.
The membership fee is 10,000 yen a year.
- Supporting members (31)
Criteria for membership : Those persons, companies or corporations who approve of the aims of VSJ and support VSJ.
The membership fee is a unit (50,000 yen a year) or more.
- Corporation members (109)
Criteria for membership : Groups or corporations such as research laboratories, hospitals, libraries, and so forth.
The membership fee is 16,000 yen a year.
- Honorary members (13)
Criteria for membership : Those persons who have greatly contributed to VSJ or the development of vitaminology .
The Organization of the Society
Board of Trustees and Others (Number of members)
- President (1)
- Trustees (14) including the trustee in charge of general affairs (1), the trustee in charge of financial affairs (1), and the trustee in charge of editing (1).
- Auditors (3)
- Honorary members (13)
- Secretaries (14)
- Councilor (109)
Committees (Number of members)
- Editorial Board of “Vitamins (in Japanese)” (11)
- Editorial Board of “Journal of Nutritional Science and Vitaminology (in English)” (11)
- Committee in charge of contributing topics (34)